*If you are new here, WELCOME! For Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe by Jodi Thomas, I provide your book club with a brief summary, a recipe, and book club questions in that order!
Do you love small town romances? If so, then you’ll love Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe by Jodi Thomas. The novel is the first in a new series by Jodi Thomas, who, if you don’t know, is the queen of Texas romance.
Her books, set in Texas, range from historical to contemporary, from series to stand alone books. While she primarily writes romance, several of her books also lean towards women’s fiction like The Widows of Wichita County and The Little Teashop on Main. She’s won three RITAs for her romance books, which led to her induction into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame (with only 17 other romance writers!).
I should also note that, being a Texan myself, her characters ring very true to the Texan spirit. I’ve also had the privileged to meet and talk with Jodi Thomas several times and she is a lovely and genuine person.
All that said, if you or your book club is looking for a romance to read, please check out her romances. Whatever you are looking for, I’m sure she has something in that vein. I particularly love small town romances, so Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe was a good fit! Plus, I love the title! Before I get to the recipe and book club questions, let me share a little bit more about this Jodi Thomas book.
The novel centers on a small town mayor who needs protection from a scandal threatening to destroy her career and reputation. Insert a State Trooper who’s vying for a promotion to Texas Ranger to protect her. Add a cast of quirky, but well-meaning characters, and you’ve got the equation for a winner.
In many of her contemporary romances, Jodi Thomas includes multiple romances occurring throughout the novel in addition to the primary story. Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe is no different. There are actually three romantic story lines through the book, with the above mentioned being the primary one. I will also note that this book, in particular, has just the right amount of spice, without including anything you’d feel bashful about giving your mother-in-law to read.
So, if you and your book club are looking for a new, fun read, look no further! Below I share a summary, a recipe, food ideas, and book club questions for Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe by Jodi Thomas for your next meeting!
(P.S. The second book in the series is out now! Check out my thoughts about it HERE!)
(P.S.S. The third book is out too! Check out my thoughts HERE!)
Here’s a brief summary of Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe by Jodi Thomas:
Piper Jane comes from a long line of Texas lawmen and she’s quick to take her place among them as a lawyer and the mayor of Honey Creek. When Colby, a State Trooper, comes to investigate the scandal plaguing her, she’s sure he’s not the type of man she would ever date. As the mystery comes to light, so do Piper’s true feelings and she begins to question whether or not her career really is all she needs.
For the Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe Recipe:
The novel includes several scenes with food. There are a few I consider quintessential Texan foods–like cherry limes, chicken fried steak, and tacos and beer. However, since the title of the book is Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe, I decided to create a breakfast dish.
In Chapter 17, Colby makes breakfast at the cafe. He says there’s only one thing he can cook–a bacon grilled cheese. I loved this scene and his can-do attitude.
After further reviewing the book, I also noted that Piper mentions the cafe has the best French toast around. So, I decided to combine the two into a French toast sandwich with bacon and sweet cream cheese! It’s a recipe that doesn’t use a frying pan to make french toast, but instead uses the oven, which makes serving a crowd MUCH easier.
In case you aren’t feeling French toast, here are some other food ideas from the pages of the book that you could use for your book club meeting:
- Chapter 3 – Piper mentions the cafe serves the best French toast and Piper introduces Sam to Honey Creek and chicken fried steak
- Chapter 17 – Colby makes breakfast at the cafe – grilled cheese with bacon. In addition, Piper has an omelet and coffee.
- Chapter 24- Town square fair – lemonade, Lane family honey, fried Oreos, hot dogs, sweet potato fries with cheese, tacos and beer
- Chapter 32- cherry limes, lemonade and cupcakes from Pecos and Kerri’s reception
- Chapter 40- The widows feed Colby hummus and crackers and a sandwich
For the full French Toast Sandwiches recipe, click HERE!
Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe by Jodi Thomas Book Club Questions:
*WARNING: May contain spoilers!
- Piper Jane comes from a long line of Texas lawmen and she’s quick to take her place among them as a lawyer and mayor. When Colby, a State Trooper, comes to investigate the scandal plaguing her, she calls him “self-assured, maybe a little dangerous. The kind of man she wouldn’t feel comfortable dating.” Why do you think that Piper is undeterred about running a town, but reserved when it comes to matters of the heart?
- Colby comes to Honey Creek for one reason—to earn a promotion to Ranger. He’s as career driven as Piper and he prefers his women easy to leave, but along the way that begins to change. What is it about Piper and Honey Creek that you think makes him want to change his plans?
- Sam has endured a lot of pain–from the London bombings to war to losing his love. He winds up in Honey Creek to try yet another avenue in hopes of finding himself again. It’s soon clear preaching is not his future, but through it he meets Anna. She’s a pint-sized pistol unafraid of shooting straight. How do you think Anna helped Sam discover his true calling?
- Anna is an eccentric and brash woman. Unlikely to take orders from anyone, she’s trying to single handedly solve all the problems in Honey Creek. But Sam surprises her. How do you think Sam helped Anna loosen her grip on the reigns just enough to allow him in?
- Pecos may not have much family, but he’s got his whole life ahead of him and big dreams. Why do you think he’s quick to stand by Kerri’s side through her ordeal? What characteristics of these two make you believe they aren’t just two dumb kids without a chance? Where do you think they’ll be in 5 years?
- The book features multiple romance story lines. Which story did you connect with the most and why?
- Were you kept guessing about Boone’s whereabouts the entire book? In the end why do you think he wanted to harm Piper? Do you think he wanted to destroy her happiness if he couldn’t have her? Were you glad Colby and Sam saved him?
- We are introduced to a lot of Honey Creek characters in this book. Who was your favorite main character (Sam, Anna, Colby, Piper, Pecos, Kerri)? Who was your favorite secondary character (Mr. Winston, Digger, the Sherriff, etc.)?
- At the end of the book, we get a snippet of the next book in the series and see that Marcie will get a leading role and a chance at real love. Who would you like to see as main characters (romantic leads) in future books?
- Have you read any other Jodi Thomas books? Which was your favorite?
Have you read anything by Jodi Thomas? What did you think? What are some similar books you’ve read?
Until next time, Happy Reading!
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost to you or the featured book’s author). All opinions are 100% mine and every book, unless otherwise noted, is handpicked by me to be featured on the site.
I was gifted an advance reader copy of Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe for my review.
Other Books by Jodi Thomas that you might enjoy!
5 thoughts on “Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe by Jodi Thomas Book Club Questions and Recipe”
Pingback: Novels about Texas Your Book Club Will Love - Book Club Bites
Pingback: French Toast Sandwiches - Book Club Bites
Pingback: Picnic in Someday Valley Book Club Ideas and More - Book Club Bites
Pingback: The Best Books About Small Towns - Book Club Bites
Pingback: Dinner on Primrose Hill Book Club Questions and Food Ideas - Book Club Bites