*If you are new here, WELCOME! For Dinner on Primrose Hill, I provide your book club with a brief summary, food ideas, and discussion questions in that order!
In the world of Texas Romance, Jodi Thomas is the queen. With over 50 Texas romances under her belt, she’s written historical and contemporary stories that continue to delight readers.
The books are all set in a small county in Texas. Each novel features three romantic storylines between six characters. And all of the books have a little mystery to solve as well.
Of the three, Dinner on Primrose Hill may be my favorite. I loved that the book is set in a small college town. I also really enjoyed all three romantic storylines, especially the romance between two middle aged professors who have given up on love.
The professors join forces for a project on “The Chemistry of Mating” and they discover more than they intended.
If you’ve read Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe, you’ll be delighted to know that several of the original characters surface in this book as well.
I really loved this book. It was a light, fun read but the characters all had flaws that made them human.
I’ve provided book club questions and delicious food ideas for Dinner on Primrose Hill, plus a recipe from Jodi Thomas! So if you are looking for book club ideas and more, keep reading!
Check out these fun bookish gadgets…
Here’s a brief summary of Dinner on Primrose Hill:
From the Publisher: “Benjamin Monroe is pretty sure how his life will play out. He’ll continue teaching chemistry in his small college, and spend his free time biking through the valley. Eventually, he’ll retire to putter around in his garden and greenhouse.
His colleague, Virginia Clark, is not one for routines. She’s chatty, spontaneous, and bubbly, and before Benjamin realizes what happened, she’s talked him into collaborating on a research project—studying the mating habits of college students. Virginia knows her desire to work with Benjamin is motivated by more than the potential prize money . . . and hopes he might not be quite as indifferent as he seems to be.
Ketch Kincaid, one of Benjamin’s star students, returned to college after serving in the army. He needs something to get his mind off his recent breakup and collecting research data might do it. And there’s another distraction on the horizon—a woman who looks like she, too, knows about heartache.
Soon enough, their project, “The Chemistry of Mating,” is gaining notoriety. Friends, neighbors . . . the whole town has become involved. But no matter what the data determines, one conclusion seems inescapable: love follows its own rules . . .”
For Dinner on Primrose Hill Food Ideas:
I loved all the food mentioned in this novel. I think romance and friendship can both blossom over a good meal!
Here are a few of the food ideas from the pages of Dinner on Primrose Hill:
- Chapter 4 – Benjamin and Jenny start their research – donuts then sandwiches and chips (Chapter 12 – same lunch mentioned- tuna sandwich, cheddar chips, Diet Coke and apple)
- Chapter 9 – Ketch repairs Tuesday’s porch – chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, and biscuits
- Chapter 14 – Ketch punches Wynn – meat lover’s pizza with beer and veggie pizza with tea
- Chapter 16 – Benjamin and Jenny have dinner at the farm with friends – BBQ ribs, cobbler and ice cream
- Chapter 20 – Ketch and Tuesday explore the house – spicy meatloaf, baked potatoes, salad, and chocolate pie
There wasn’t alot of food mentioned in Hank and Millie’s story, but that’s probably because he was the cook! I did love when they had popcorn for dinner and watched a movie together though. Real life. Real romance.
And the best news of all is that Jodi Thomas herself gave me a recipe to feature for this book! You can check out this delicious and easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup HERE!
Whether you choose something from this list or try your own option, I hope these food ideas will get your creative juices flowing to host your book club for Dinner on Primrose Hill!
Dinner on Primrose Hill Book Club Questions:
*WARNING: May contain spoilers!
- Dinner on Primrose Hill follows three couples. Which couple was your favorite and why?
- Benjamin and Jenny discover they have a past connection. Why do you think it took them so long to recognize each other despite searching for one another for years?
- Hank and Millie are quite the opposites. In what ways, though, are they similar? Do you think they end up together?
- Ketch and Tuesday are two lost souls in the world. Why do you think Tuesday was so hesitant to trust Ketch despite their similarities and his repeated helpfulness?
- If you’ve read Breakfast at the Honey Creek Cafe, who were you most delighted to see show up in this book? Was there anyone you hoped to see that didn’t have a part?
- Clifton Bend is a small college town. Did you enjoy the setting? Did it remind you of anywhere you’ve been?
- Did you enjoy the story about Grannie Eva and Tony? Do you think they were lovers?
- Have you ever been in a house as unique as the house on Primrose Hill? Discuss some of the features in the unusual houses that you’ve seen. What was your favorite feature of the house in the novel?
- Benjamin and Jenny discover a lot about the “Chemistry of Mating.” For a good laugh, share something odd you find attractive in the opposite sex.
- Who did you suspect was the bomber? Did you catch the clues?
Have you read Dinner on Primrose Hill? What did you think? Did it satisfy you or were you left wishing for more? What are some similar books you’ve read?
Until next time, Happy Reading!
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost to you or the featured book’s author). All opinions are 100% mine and every book, unless otherwise noted, is handpicked by me to be featured on the site.
Bookish gifts for you or your reader friends!